Watch Battery Replacement
Do you have a watch in a drawer which you love but it doesn’t have a battery? Let us know!
We offer an expertly fitted, watch battery replacement York by our watchmakers in our retail jewellery shop in York City Centre to get your watch back working again.
Watch battery replacements are a regular source of problems for a watch. The incorrect accessing of the movement by someone who is inexperienced or unqualified can cause significant problems. The wheels within the watch are very delicate and can easily be distorted, the coil (within a quartz watch – this is an electro magnet) is a fifth of the thickness of a human hair and therefore very easily damaged and can be expensive to replace. The process we carry out is as follows –
- Examine the case back and determine the method of opening – clip back, screw back or screws which hold the back in place
- Cleaning the case back to ensure no deposits can fall into the movement – the smallest deposit can cause a watch to stop
- Opening the case back carefully to ensure no scratching or damage to the back and that the case seal is not split
- Finding the right battery to replace – there are many sizes and powers of batteries therefore this is crucial. (This process also includes clearing of the internal memory for chronographs and resetting perpetual calendars etc). It is important not to touch the battery with fingers as this would leave a deposit on the battery cell which could compromise the connection. Plastic tweezers should also always be used and never metal ones.
- Case seals are then checked and cleaned prior to reassembly. If they are aged, they may need replacing for the longevity of the watch – there is an additional charge if a new seal is needed but we would contact you to discuss prior to fitting
- Case back is replaced
- If required, pressure testing can be carried out to ensure water resistance up to 100m – there is an extra charge for this service, even if the watch fails the pressure test.
- Watch is then placed on “test” to ensure it is working correctly